On Thu, Dec 3, 2015 at 1:48 AM, Amit Kapila <amit.kapil...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think the way to address is don't add backend to Group list if it is
> not intended to update the same page as Group leader.  For transactions
> to be on different pages, they have to be 32768 transactionid's far apart
> and I don't see much possibility of that happening for concurrent
> transactions that are going to be grouped.

That might work.

>> My idea for how this could possibly work is that you could have a list
>> of waiting backends for each SLRU buffer page.
>
> Won't this mean that first we need to ensure that page exists in one of
> the buffers and once we have page in SLRU buffer, we can form the
> list and ensure that before eviction, the list must be processed?
> If my understanding is right, then for this to work we need to probably
> acquire CLogControlLock in Shared mode in addition to acquiring it
> in Exclusive mode for updating the status on page and performing
> pending updates for other backends.

Hmm, that wouldn't be good.  You're right: this is a problem with my
idea.  We can try what you suggested above and see how that works.  We
could also have two or more slots for groups - if a backend doesn't
get the lock, it joins the existing group for the same page, or else
creates a new group if any slot is unused.  I think it might be
advantageous to have at least two groups because otherwise things
might slow down when some transactions are rolling over to a new page
while others are still in flight for the previous page.  Perhaps we
should try it both ways and benchmark.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company