On 8 January 2016 at 13:36, Alvaro Herrera <alvhe...@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> Vladimir Borodin wrote:
> >
> > > 7 янв. 2016 г., в 5:26, Michael Paquier <michael.paqu...@gmail.com>
> написал(а):

> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CANP8%2BjJuyExr1HnTAdZraWsWkfc-octhug7YPtzPtJcYbyi4pA%40mail.gmail.com

> > Ok, I’ll try this patch with my use case. Basically, it’s not so easy
> > now since I’ve partitioned that big table to not have such problems
> > but there is a way to reproduce it once again. If it helps, I agree
> > that my should be rejected in favor of the Simon’s patch because my
> > patch just reduces replication lag but Simon’s seems to remove lag at
> > all.
>
> I would agree except for the observation on toast indexes.  I think
> that's an important enough use case that perhaps we should have both.

The exclusion of toast indexes is something we can remove also, I have
recently discovered. When we access toast data we ignore MVCC, but we still
have the toast pointer and chunkid to use for rechecking our scan results.
So a later patch will add some rechecks.

So I don't think it is worth applying this patch now. I should add that I
also had a patch that did this, posted earlier IIRC. That is not the reason
to reject this, just me pointing out that I'm effectively rejecting my own
earlier patch also.

<http://www.2ndquadrant.com/>