This is an interesting thought. My gut tells me it is a viable opportunity for the corporate entities that offer support and wish to have 'VAR' status.

This is just my opinion, but I view the core development group as pure development, and the various people that resell or distribute PostgreSQL as a for-profit business as those responsible for maintaining backward support.

Maybe RedHat or PostgreSQL Inc can do this? It is a really good message, "The best of open source, with on going support."

And not to re-open a can of worms, but if PostgreSQL could upgrade without having to do a dump and restore, then this wouldn't really be an issue.

Justin Clift wrote:

Hi everyone,

Over the last few days we've had patches submitted for 7.2.3 that address a couple of things, both the WAL Recovery Bug that Tom has developed a patch for, and a couple of buffer overflows that have been widely reported.

Although we haven't wanted to release a 7.2.4, and have instead encouraged people to upgrade to 7.3.x, there are places out there who's applications aren't compatible with 7.3.x and would also need to upgrade them as well.

It might be a really good idea if we re-visit the thought of 7.2.4 and have something that people running the 7.2.x series can use safely until they are able to move to 7.3.x or above.

What would it take, and apart from patches for the buffer overflows and the WAL recovery bug, should anything else be included to ensure safety and stability?

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift