Alvaro Herrera <alvhe...@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
> I would guess that the DDL boilterplate should come from Alexander
> Korotkov's patch, right?  I think a first easy step may be to combine
> parts both patches so that we get the "amkind" column from this patch
> and the DDL support from Alexander's patch (means that his proposed
> command needs a new clause to specify the amkind);

Uh, what?  Surely we would provide a bespoke command for each possible
sort of handler.  As an example, CREATE INDEX ACCESS METHOD ought to check
that the provided function has the right signature, and then it would put
the correct amkind into the pg_am entry automatically.

If we skimp on this infrastructure then we're just relying on the
user not to make a typo, which doesn't seem like a good idea.

(Agreed though that a reasonable first step would be to add amkind to
pg_am and make the appropriate adjustments to existing code, ie check
that amkind is correct when fetching an index handler.  I considered
putting that into the AM API refactor patch, but desisted.)