On Mon, Feb 8, 2016 at 2:33 PM, Filip Rembiałkowski
<filip.rembialkow...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Here is my next try, after suggestions from -perf and -hackers list:
>
> * no GUC
>
> * small addition to NOTIFY grammar: NOTIFY ALL/DISTINCT
>
> * corresponding, 3-argument version of pg_notify(text,text,bool)

This is all sounding pretty good.   I wonder if the third argument
should be a boolean however.  If we make it 'text, 'send mode',
instead, we could leave some room for more specialization of the
queuing behavior.

For example, we've had a couple of requests over the years to have an
'immediate' mode which dumps the notification immediately to the
client without waiting for tx commit. This may or may not be a good
idea, but if it was ultimately proved to be, it could be introduced as
an alternate mode without adding an extra function.

merlin