On Wed, 16 Mar 2016 12:14:51 +0530
Amit Kapila <amit.kapil...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 5:41 AM, Constantin S. Pan <kva...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 14 Mar 2016 08:42:26 -0400
> > David Steele <da...@pgmasters.net> wrote:

> > > Oleg, it looks like Constantin has updated to patch to address the
> > > issue you were seeing.  Do you have time to retest and review?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> >
> > Actually, there was some progress since. The patch is
> > attached.
> >
> > 1. Added another GUC parameter for changing the amount of
> > shared memory for parallel GIN workers.
> >
> > 2. Changed the way results are merged. It uses shared memory
> > message queue now.
> >
> > 3. Tested on some real data (GIN index on email message body
> > tsvectors). Here are the timings for different values of
> > 'gin_shared_mem' and 'gin_parallel_workers' on a 4-CPU
> > machine. Seems 'gin_shared_mem' has no visible effect.
> >
> > wnum mem(MB) time(s)
> >    0      16     247
> >    1      16     256
> >

> It seems from you data that with 1 worker, you are always seeing
> slowdown, have you investigated the reason of same?
>
> With Regards,
> Amit Kapila.

That slowdown is expected. It slows down because with 1 worker it
has to transfer the results from the worker to the backend.

The backend just waits for the results from the workers and merges them
(in case wnum > 0). So the 1-worker configuration should never be used,
because it is as sequential as the 0-worker, but adds data transfer.

Regards,

Constantin S. Pan
The Russian Postgres Company