On 04/22/2016 01:21 AM, Michael Paquier wrote:
5. It also complains about us casting a pid_t to a HANDLE in
pg_basebackup.c. Not sure what to do about that.
The thing that's being cast is not a PID, but a HANDLE to a process. pid_t is a
typedef for int (in port/win32.h), therefore is always 32 bits, while HANDLE is
actually void*. However, Microsoft guarantees that kernel32 HANDLEs (this
includes those to threads and processes) fit into 32 bits on AMD64.

Source:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ee872017(v=vs.85).aspx,
 third bullet point.

So we can simply silence the warning by casting explicitly.
Yes, when casting things this way I think that a comment would be fine
in the code. We could do that as separate patches actually.

We are already casting the pid_t to HANDLE and still getting a warning. Apparently we need to do something on win64 like

    (HANDLE) ((int64) bgchild)

cheers

andrew