> Really?  It should get reported at some execution of CHECK_FOR_INTERRUPTS
> after we pass the 2-second mark in execute(portal1).  If that's not what
> you're observing, maybe you've found a code path that's missing some
> CHECK_FOR_INTERRUPTS call(s).

Oops. Previous example was not appropriate. Here are revised
examples. (in any case, the time consumed at parse and bind are small,
and I omit the CHECK_FOR_INTERRUPTS after these commands)

[example 1]

statement_timeout = 3s

parse(statement1) -- time 0. set statement timout timer
bind(statement1, portal1)
execute(portal1) -- took 2 seconds
CHECK_FOR_INTERRUPTS -- 2 seconds passed since time 0. statement timeout does
not fire
parse(statement2)
bind(statement2, portal2)
execute(portal2) -- took 2 seconds
CHECK_FOR_INTERRUPTS -- 4 seconds passed since time 0. the statement timeout
fires!

Another example.

[example 2]

statement_timeout = 3s

parse(statement1) -- time 0. set statement timout timer
bind(statement1, portal1)
execute(portal1) -- took 1 second
CHECK_FOR_INTERRUPTS -- 1 second passed since time 0. statement timeout does
not fire
parse(statement2)
bind(statement2, portal2)
execute(portal2) -- took 1 second
CHECK_FOR_INTERRUPTS -- 2 seconds passed since time 0. the statement timeout
fires!
[client is idle for 2 seconds]
sync
CHECK_FOR_INTERRUPTS -- 4 seconds passed since time 0. the statement timeout
fires!

I think current code is good in detecting statement timeout if each
command execution time actually exceeds the specified timeout. However
it could report false statement timeout in some cases like above.

Best regards,
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan