Hi all

I just ran into an issue that was originally reported way back in 2007 -
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/0262b803-b664-4ebe-85b4-3c9a40ea6...@mobygames.com

<https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/0262b803-b664-4ebe-85b4-3c9a40ea6...@mobygames.com>

Basically the inet data type cannot store or parse valid ipv6 address literals
with a scope / zone id suffix. Apparently the combination of virtualised linux,
ipv6 network and JVM that we are using has combined to report connections on
localhost as coming from ‘::1%0’, which our app is unsuccessfully attempting to
store in the db in an inet column. This is the first time that I have ever seen
this, but perhaps it will get more common as ipv6-first usage increases.

Given that inet is a varlena struct with only known-length fields, it seems
potentially possible to extend it to add an optional, variable length zone id
on the end, with the result being backwards compatible with existing data.

Thoughts?

Cheers

Tom