> On 5/31/16 2:02 PM, Josh berkus wrote:
>> I get where you're coming from, but I think Haas's query plan output is
>> going to show us the confusion we're going to get.  So we need to either
>> change the parameter, the explain output, or brace ourselves for endless
>> repeated questions.
>
> Changing the explain output doesn't sound so bad to me.
>
> The users' problem is that the parameter setting ought to match the
> EXPLAIN output.
>
> The developers' problem is that the EXPLAIN output actually corresponds
> to leader + (N-1) workers internally.
>
> I think we can hope that developers are going to be less confused about
> that than users.

Makes sense.

One more consistency question: what's the effect of running out of
max_parallel_workers?

That is, say max_parallel_workers is set to 10, and 8 are already
allocated.  If I ask for max_parallel_X = 4, how many cores to I use?

Presumably the leader isn't counted towards max_parallel_workers?

Josh Berkus
Red Hat OSAS
(any opinions are my own)