On 6/14/16 12:37 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
ERROR: can't generate random numbers because you haven't specified a seed

...to which the user will reply, "oh yes I did; in fact I ran SELECT
magic_setseed(42) just before I ran the offending query!".  They'll
then contact an expert (hopefully) who will very possibly spend a lot
of time troubleshooting the wrong thing.  If the message says:

ERROR: can't generate random numbers because you haven't specified a seed
CONTEXT: parallel worker, PID 62413

...then the expert has a very good chance of guessing what has gone
wrong right away.

My updated opinion is to keep the context but remove the PID. I can see that as this feature is being introduced, we will want to know that something is happening inside a parallel worker. Maybe in the future we'll have it all figured out and won't need the context anymore. But the PID is not useful by the time you see the message. The server log should contain a trace of the PIDs if you need to do deep digging.