> I think the proposed idea of applying record::text explicit coercion to a
> whole-row reference in the IS NOT NULL condition in the CASE WHEN
> conversion would work as expected as you explained, but I'm concerned that
> the cost wouldn't be negligible when the foreign table has a lot of columns.

That's right, if the foreign server doesn't optimize the case for IS NOT
NULL, which it doesn't :)

I am happy to use any cheaper means e.g a function which counts number of
columns in a record. All we need here is a way to correctly identify when a
record is null and not null in the way we want (as described upthread). I
didn't find any quickly. Do you have any suggestions?

--
Best Wishes,
Ashutosh Bapat