On Mon, Jun 27, 2016 at 11:40 PM, Michael Paquier
<michael.paqu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 28, 2016 at 6:49 AM, Robert Haas <robertmh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Revised patch attached.
>>
>> The first hunk of this corrects an outdated comment, so we should
>> certainly apply that.  I'm not seeing what the value of the other bits
>> is.
>
> - proc_exit(1);
> + proc_exit(0);
> Looking again at this thread with fresh eyes, isn't the origin of the
> confusion the fact that we do need to have a non-zero error code so as
> the worker is never restarted thanks to BGW_NEVER_RESTART? Even with
> that, it is a strange concept to leave with proc_exit(1) in the case
> where a worker left correctly..

This code predates be7558162acc5578d0b2cf0c8d4c76b6076ce352, prior to
which proc_exit(0) forced an immediate, unconditional restart.  It's
true that, given that commit, changing this code to do proc_exit(0)
instead of proc_exit(1) would be harmless.  However, people writing
background workers that might need to work with 9.3 would be best
advised to stick with proc_exit(1).  Therefore, I maintain that this
is not broken and doesn't need to be fixed.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company