On 29 June 2016 at 21:49, Sachin Kotwal <kotsac...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> On Wed, Jun 29, 2016 at 6:29 PM, Craig Ringer <cr...@2ndquadrant.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 29 June 2016 at 18:47, Sachin Kotwal <kotsac...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> I am testing pgbench with more than 100 connections.
>>> also set max_connection in postgresql.conf more than 100.
>>>
>>> Initially pgbench tries to scale nearby 150 but later it come down to
>>> 100 connections and stable there.
>>>
>>> It this limitation of pgbench? or bug? or i am doing it wrong way?
>>>

>> What makes you think this is a pgbench limitation?
>>

> As I mentioned when I tried same thing with sysbench It can give me 200+
> concurrent connection with same method and same machine.

What command lines / configs are you using? Details are necessary, talking
about this in general hand-waving terms is not getting anywhere.

>> It sounds like you're benchmarking the client and server on the same
>> system. Couldn't this be a limitation of the backend PostgreSQL server?
>>
>> I think having client and server on same server should not be problem.
> As i can do this with different benchmarking tool It should not be
> limitation of backend PostgreSQL server.

OK, so your sysbench use is actually talking to PostgreSQL as well. Then
yes. Assuming they're testing roughly the same thing, which I somewhat
doubt.

There should not be connection and disconnection because I am not using -C
> option of pgbench which cause connection and disconnection for each query.

OK, in that case it's hard to explain the behaviour you're seeing.

More details please.

> If I set max_connection of postgresql.conf to 200 and testing with -c 150 .
> This should work fine, but it is not.

If you're using FDWs to connect to the same server again, you'll need a
max_connections slot for each FDW connection as well.

> I am testing one scenario of multiple coordinator with help of
> postgres_fdw to enhance connection ability of postgres without any
> connection pooling .
> Setup might be difficult to explain here but will explain if required.

Yes, you need to explain it.

> can you test simply 100 scale database size with pgbench and run pgbench
> with 200+ connection of small virtual box to see same observation ?

It works fine - of course. There's more to this story than you've explained
so far.