On Thu, Jul 7, 2016 at 7:51 AM, Stephen Frost <sfr...@snowman.net> wrote:
> * Michael Paquier (michael.paqu...@gmail.com) wrote:
>> > I'm not sure how common a build without openssl is in the real world
>> > though.
>> > RPMs, DEBs, Windows installers etc all build with OpenSSL. But we probably
>> > don't want to make it mandatory, no...
>>
>> I don't think that it is this much common to have an enterprise-class
>> build of Postgres without SSL, but each company has always its own
>> reasons, so things could exist.
>
> I agree that it's useful to have the support if PG isn't built with
> OpenSSL for some reason.

OK, I am doing that at the end.

And also while moving on...

On another topic, here are some ideas to extend CREATE/ALTER ROLE to
support SCRAM password directly:
1) protocol PASSWORD value, where protocol is { MD5 | PLAIN | SCRAM }, giving:
CREATE ROLE foorole SCRAM PASSWORD value;
2) PASSWORD (protocol) value.
3) Just add SCRAM PASSWORD
My mind is thinking about 1) as being the cleanest solution as this
does not touch the defaults, which may change a couple of releases
later. Other opinions?

Note that I am also switching password_encryption to an enum, able to
use as values on, off, md5, plain, scram. Of course, on => md5, off =>
plain to preserve the default.
Other things that I am making conservative:
- ENCRYPTED PASSWORD still implies MD5-encrypted password
- UNENCRYPTED PASSWORD still implies plain text password
- PASSWORD used alone depends on the value of password_encryption
So it would be possible to move to scram by default by setting
password_encryption to 'scram'.

Objections are welcome, I am moving into something respecting the
default behavior as much as possible.
--
Michael