 >> As far as I understood Andrew's use case, he was specifically *not*
 >> interested in a complete representation of an index definition, but
 >> rather about whether it had certain properties that would be of
 >> interest to query-constructing applications.

Well, I wouldn't limit it to query-constructing applications.

I'll give another random example that I thought of. Suppose an
administrative GUI (I have no idea if any of the existing GUIs do this)
has an option to do CLUSTER on a table; how should it know which indexes
to offer the user to cluster on, without access to amclusterable?

 Bruce> Would it be helpful to output an array of strings representing
 Bruce> the index definition?

Why would that help, if the point is to enable programmatic access to
information?

Anyway, what I haven't seen in this thread is any implementable
counter-proposal other than the "just hardcode the name 'btree'"
response that was given in the JDBC thread, which I don't consider
acceptable in any sense. Is 9.6 going to go out like this or is action
going to be taken before rc1?

--
Andrew (irc:RhodiumToad)