On 10/07/2016 06:55 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
On Fri, Oct 7, 2016 at 6:46 AM, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinn...@iki.fi> wrote:
Ouch. We should find and document an authoritative source for all the
mappings we have...

I think the next steps here are:

1. Find an authoritative source for all the existing mappings.
2. Generate the radix tree files directly from the authoritative sources,
instead of the existing *.map files.
3. Completely replace the existing binary-search code with this.

It might be best to convert using the existing map files, and then
update the mappings later.  Otherwise, when things break, you won't
know what to blame.

I was thinking that we keep the mappings unchanged, but figure out where we got the mappings we have. An authoritative source may well be "file X from unicode, with the following tweaks: ...". As long as we have some way of representing that, in text files, or in perl code, that's OK.

What I don't want is that the current *.map files are turned into the authoritative source files, that we modify by hand. There are no comments in them, for starters, which makes hand-editing cumbersome. It seems that we have edited some of them by hand already, but we should rectify that.

- Heikki