On Tue, Nov 15, 2016 at 11:48 AM, Pavel Stehule <pavel.steh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> For text contents, we already have this (pasted right from the doc):
>>
>> testdb=> \set content `cat my_file.txt`
>> testdb=> INSERT INTO my_table VALUES (:'content');
>>
>> Maybe we might look at why it doesn't work for binary string and fix that?
>>
>> I can think of three reasons:
>>
>> - psql use C-style '\0' terminated string implying no nul byte in
>> variables.
>> That could potentially be fixed by tweaking the data structures and
>> accessors.
>>
>> - the backtick operator trims ending '\n' from the result of the command
>> (like the shell), but we could add a variant that doesn't have this
>> behavior.
>>
>> - we don't have "interpolate as binary", an operator that will
>> essentially apply PQescapeByteaConn rather than PQescapeStringConn.
>>
>> For example, I'd suggest this syntax:
>>
>> -- slurp a file into a variable, with no translation whatsoever
>> \set content ``cat my_binary_file``
>>
>> -- interpolate as binary (backquotes instead of quotes)
>> INSERT INTO my_table VALUES(:`content`);
>>
>> If we had something like this, would we still need filerefs? I feel like
>> the point of filerefs is mainly to work around lack of support for
>> binary in variables, but maybe supporting the latter directly would
>> be an easier change to accept.
>
> I leaved a concept of fileref - see Tom's objection. I know, so I can hack
> ``, but I would not do it. It is used for shell (system) calls, and these
> functionality can depends on used os. The proposed content commands can be
> extended more, and you are doesn't depends on o.s. Another issue of your
> proposal is hard support for tab complete (file path).

On the other hand, it seems like you've invented a whole new system of
escaping and interpolation that is completely disconnected from the
one we already have.  psql is already full of features that nobody
knows about identified by incomprehensible character combinations.
Daniel's suggestion would at least be more similar to what already
exists.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company