On 7 December 2016 at 10:53, Tom Lane <t...@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Just saw another report of what's probably systemd killing off Postgres'
> SysV semaphores, as we've discussed previously at, eg,
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/57828C31.5060409%40gmail.com
> Since the systemd people are generally impervious to suggestions that
> they might be mistaken, I do not expect this problem to go away.
>
> I think we should give serious consideration to back-patching commit
> ecb0d20a9, which changed the default semaphore type to unnamed-POSIX
> on Linux.  We've seen no problems in the buildfarm in the two months
> that that's been in HEAD.  If we don't do this, we can expect to
> continue seeing complaints of this sort until pre-v10 PG releases
> fall out of use ... and I don't want to wait that long.
>
> Commit ecb0d20a9 also changed the default for FreeBSD.  I'm not convinced
> we should back-patch that part, because (a) unnamed-POSIX semas have
> only been there since FreeBSD 9.0, which isn't that long ago, and (b)
> the argument for switching is "it'll perform better" not "your server
> will fail randomly without this change".

That's a huge change to make for something that doesn't risk data
corruption, and that won't happen when using postgres with distro
packages.

As I understand it, it's only a problem if you're running postgres as
a normal user, not a "system user" which systemd defines at
compile-time as a user < 500 or < 1000 depending on the distro's
default login.conf . So it'll only affect people who're not using
their distro's packages and service mechanism, and are instead running
Pg under some other user, likely started manually with pg_ctl.

I see quite a few people who compile their own Pg rather than using
packages, and some who even fail to use the init system and instead
use custom scripts to launch Pg. But pretty much everything I've seen
uses a 'postgres' system-user. Clearly there are exceptions out there
in the wild, but I don't think it makes sense to backpatch this to
satisfy people who are, IMO, doing it wrong in the first place.

Especially since those people can reconfigure systemd not to do this
with the RemoveIPC and KillUserProcesses directives if they insist on
using a non-system user.

If they defined a systemd service to start postgres they'd be fine...
and isn't it pretty much basic sysadmin 101 to use your init system to
start services?

Don't get me wrong, I think systemd's behaviour is pretty stupid.
Mostly in terms of its magic definition of a "system user", which
shouldn't be something determined by a uid threshold at compile time.
But I don't think we should double down on it by backpatching a big
change that hasn't even seen in-the-wild loads from real world use
yet, just to make it easier on people who're doing things backwards in
the first place.

If it were possible to detect that systemd was about to clobber us and
log something informative, _that_ would be very nice to backpatch. I
don't see how that's possible though.