On 1/11/17 12:53 PM, Simon Riggs wrote:
>> I'm concerned that having signal files somewhere else opens up a bunch
>> more edge cases that need to be considered.  For example, what if
>> someone puts a signal file into a temporary directory that is cleared
>> after a server crash and restart.  That can mess up a bunch of things.
>
> We already have trigger_file as a way to specify an alternate
> directory, so if I remove signal_file_directory I will need to replace
> trigger_file as a parameter.

The trigger file is for promotion, which is just a momentary nudge to
the server.  The recovery signal file or whatever we end up calling it
is long-term state, because if it disappears and the server restarts, it
will do something different.  So they are different.

I'm not strictly opposed to making the name or directory configurable,
but I'm predicting it will raise more questions than we might want to
deal with.