> On 01/12/2017 03:35 PM, Craig Ringer wrote:
>

>> So far that's all "that'd be nice, but isn't a technical barrier" stuff.
>>
>> Package variables for example. When _do_ you _need_ them? For what? (I'm
>> aware of some uses but "when you need them" helps us not at all).
>>

> Well my answer would be, "because we want Oracle people to have an easy
> time migrating". I know that isn't the -hackers answer but clearly there is
> a demand for them. I would note that EDB Advanced server supports them,
> exactly because there is a demand for them.

EDB try to emulate Oracle - so some special features are necessary there -
although are redundant to existing PostgreSQL features - packages,
collections, ..

> Again, I am not making the technical argument here. I don't have the time
> to research it. I am making a usability argument for a potentially huge
> portion of database users to allow PostgreSQL to be more attractive to
> them, argument.
>
> I also received this today:
>
> """
> Well, packages make programming much easier. Not only do you keep related
> procedures together, you can also have private package variables and the
> package initialization. Also, packages are units of security, so you can
> grant permissions on the package to the entire group of users and if you
> later modify the package and add a function, you don't need to grant it
> separately.
> """

This is possible with our schemas too. I use schemas for package emulation
for Orafce 10 years, and it is working well.

The main problem is in different languages - our "database" <> Oracle
"database", our "schema" <> Oracle "schema"

People doesn't want packages - they want Oracle without any fee