Karl O. Pinc wrote:

> I do have a question here regards code formatting.
> The patch now contains:
>
>     if (log_filepath == NULL)
>     {
>         /* Bad data. Avoid segfaults etc. and return NULL to caller. */
>         break;
>     }
>
> I'm not sure how this fits in with PG coding style,
> whether the {} should be removed or what.  I've looked
> around and can't find an example of an if with a single
> line then block and a comment.  Maybe this means that
> I shouldn't be doing this, but if I put the comment above
> the if then it will "run into" the comment block which
> immediately precedes the above code which describes
> a larger body of code.  So perhaps someone should look
> at this and tell me how to improve it.

I think this style is good.  Following the style guide to the letter
would lead to remove the braces and keep the comment where it is;
pgindent will correctly keep at its current indentation.  We do use that
style in a couple of places.  It looks a bit clunky.  In most places we
do keep those braces, for readability and future-proofing in case
somebody inadvertently introduces another statement to the "block".  We
don't automatically remove braces anyway.  (We used to do that, but
stopped a few years ago shortly after introducing PG_TRY).

Putting the comment outside (above) the "if" would be wrong, too; you'd
have to rephrase the comment in a conditional tense.