On 2017/02/10 15:58, Simon Riggs wrote:
> On 10 February 2017 at 06:19, Amit Langote
> <langote_amit...@lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote:
>> The new partitioned tables do not contain any data by themselves.  Any
>> data inserted into a partitioned table is routed to and stored in one of
>> its partitions.  In fact, it is impossible to insert *any* data before a
>> partition (to be precise, a leaf partition) is created.
>
> Where is all of this documented? All I see at the moment is old docs.

Last week I sent documentation patches in a separate message titled
"Documentation improvements for partitioning" [1].  One of the patches
adds a separate section in the DDL chapter describing partitioned tables.

Thanks,
Amit

[1]
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/bf9ebbb3-fb1e-3206-b67c-e7a803a747d9%40lab.ntt.co.jp