On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 2:30 AM, Amit Langote
<langote_amit...@lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote:
> I noticed that running ALTER TABLE table_name DETACH PARTITION crashes, if
> table_name is not a partitioned table.  That's because of an  Assert in
> ATExecDetachPartition().  We really should error out much sooner in this
> case, IOW during transformAlterTableStmt(), as is done in the case of
> ATTACH PARTITION.
>
> Attached patch fixes that.

-                    /* assign transformed values */
-                    partcmd->bound = cxt.partbound;
+                    /*
+                     * Assign transformed value of the partition bound, if
+                     * any.
+                    if (cxt.partbound != NULL)
+                        partcmd->bound = cxt.partbound;

This hunk isn't really needed, is it?  I mean, if cxt.partbound comes
out NULL, then partcmd->bound will be NULL with or without adding an
"if" here, won't it?

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company