On 2/13/17 8:50 PM, Andres Freund wrote:
On 2017-02-14 11:46:52 +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
I still fail to see why --use-existing as suggested in
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20170208002900.vkldujzfkwbvq...@alap3.anarazel.de
isn't sufficient.

Some tests create objects without removing them, meaning that
continuous runs would fail with only --use-existing. This patch brings
value in such cases.

You can trivially script the CREATE/DROP DB outside with
--use-existing. Which seems a lot more flexible than adding more and
more options to pg_regress.

AFAIK if you're doing make check (as opposed to installcheck) it's significantly more complicated than that since you'd have to create a temp cluster/install yourself.

As an extension author, I'd *love* to have the cluster management stuff in pg_regress broken out: it's the only reason I use pg_regress, and pg_regress's idea of what a test failure is just gets in my way. But breaking that out is far more invasive than allowing a template database.
855-TREBLE2 (855-873-2532)