On 2/14/17 1:59 PM, Andres Freund wrote:
AFAIK if you're doing make check (as opposed to installcheck) it's
significantly more complicated than that since you'd have to create a temp
cluster/install yourself.

But in that case you can't have useful templates in the regression test
either, so the whole discussion is moot?

At that point it depends on what you're trying to do. Presumably separating cluster control would make it much easier to script createdb/dropdb as you suggested. Tom's use case might be more easily served by specifying a template database. I don't think Pavel ever posted his use case.

Speaking for myself, my normal pattern is to have a number of separate pg_regress suites, each of which ends up loading the extension under test. Loading a large extension can end up being very time consuming; enough so that I'd expect it to be much faster to create the temp cluster, load all the prereq's once in some template database, and then use that template for most/all of the tests. In that scenario separating cluster create/drop would certainly be useful, but the template option would probably be helpful as well (though since pg_regress' diff-based methodology just gets in my way I'd likely use some other harness to actually run the tests).
855-TREBLE2 (855-873-2532)