Bruce Momjian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Has the single-byte LIKE penalty been eliminated, so we don't need to
> consider using C as the default locale for initdb, right?

I'm still of the opinion that we should make C the default locale.
But I'm not sure where the consensus is, so I've not made the change.

> If fixed, how was it done?

Peter has provided a hack whereby one can create a LIKE-supporting index
in a non-C locale.  But a *default* index in a non-C locale is still not
going to support LIKE ... and the hacked index will not support ordinary
comparison or ordering operators.  So I think there's still a lot left
to be desired here.

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster