On 3/6/17 12:49 AM, Michael Paquier wrote:
On Sat, Mar 4, 2017 at 5:33 AM, David Steele <da...@pgmasters.net> wrote:
I think the idea of a general progress view is very valuable and there
are a ton of operations it could be used for:  full table scans, index
rebuilds, vacuum, copy, etc.

However, I feel that this proposal is not flexible enough and comes too
late in the release cycle to allow development into something that could
be committed.

Well, each command really has its own requirements in terms of data to
store, so we either finish with a bunch of small tables that anyone
could query and join as they wish or a somewhat unique table that is
bloated with all the information, with a set of views on top of it to
query all the information. For extensibility's sake of each command
(for example imagine that REINDEX could be extended with a
CONCURRENTLY option and multiple phases), I would think that having a
table per command type would not be that bad.

Well, the ideal scenario is that someone uses the raw data to come up with a good way to just provide ye olde 0-100% progress bar. At that point a single view would do the trick.

Perhaps instead of adding more clutter to \dvS we could just have a SRF for now. At over 2800 rows currently, you're not going to notice one more addition to \dfS.
--
Jim Nasby, Chief Data Architect, OpenSCG
http://OpenSCG.com