On 06/04/17 19:05, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
On 04/06/2017 08:13 AM, Noah Misch wrote:
If any SCRAM open item is a beta blocker, it's this one. (But SASLprep is
also in or near that status.)  Post-beta wire protocol changes are bad,
considering beta is normally the time for projects like pgjdbc and npgsql to
start adapting to such changes.

[Action required within three days.  This is a generic notification.]

The above-described topic is currently a PostgreSQL 10 open item.

I will work on this next week. I haven't given it much thought yet, but I think it's going to be pretty straightforward. It won't require much code yet, as we only support one SASL mechanism. We just need to ensure that we don't paint ourselves in the corner with the protocol.

I think this could easily extended from the current message. SCRAM does not force any concrete way of negotiating the protocols supported. The current SASL message sends the only SCRAM method supported. I think it should be enough to make this a CSV, which for a single value, is the same as we have today (so no code change required, only documentation). The other message that needs to be changed is the password one, the first time the client sends the SCRAM "client-first-message", which needs to contain the algorithm selected. As of today, that could be a constant (at least in the code) and validate is value.

    So I guess code changes would be minimal. I could be wrong, of course.

I'm working myself on Java's (pgjdbc) implementation, and I will hopefully have a prototype by next week to try it.

    Álvaro

--

Álvaro Hernández Tortosa