On Tue, Apr 11, 2017 at 11:10 AM, Peter Eisentraut <
peter.eisentr...@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> On 4/11/17 11:47, David G. Johnston wrote:
> > ​A potential middle-ground is to start, but then only allow superuser
> > connections.
>
> Then you might as well start and allow all connections.  I don't see
> what this buys.

​If "leave it offline until it gets fixed" is on the table then there is
some underlying reason that we'd not want application (or replication)
users connecting to the database while it is in a degraded state.  Even if
one accepts that premise that doesn't mean that an administrator shouldn't
be allowed to login and do ad-hoc stuff; the goal of the prevention is to
disallow programmed external actors that assume/require that these
background worker processes are active from connecting while they are not.
This middle-ground accommodates that goal​ in a precise manner.

I don't have an opinion as to which extreme is better so in the absence I'm
in favor of "put control in the hands of the administrator" - this just
provides a slightly more usable environment for the administrator to
operate within.

David J.