On 2017-04-19 20:06:05 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > BTW, we IIRC had discussed removing the select() backed latch
> > implementation in this release.  I'll try to dig up that discussion.
>
> Might be sensible.  Even my pet dinosaurs have poll(2).

I can't find the discussion anymore, but I'm fairly sure we did discuss
that.  So here's a new one.

> We should check the buildfarm to see if the select() implementation is
> being tested at all.

I verified it's currently not (unless I made a mistake):
pgbfprod=>
select bs.name, snapshot
FROM buildsystems bs, lateral (
    SELECT * FROM build_status_log bsl
    WHERE bs.name = bsl.sysname AND log_stage = 'configure.log'
    ORDER BY bsl.sysname, bsl.snapshot desc, bsl.log_stage limit 1) bsl2
    WHERE
        log_text NOT LIKE '%no configure step for MSCV%'
        AND log_text NOT LIKE '%checking for poll... yes%' order by snapshot
desc;
   name    |      snapshot
 frogmouth | 2017-04-19 00:32:32
 jacana    | 2017-04-19 00:00:58
 narwhal   | 2017-04-18 07:00:01
(3 rows)

and those three animals are windows, and thus use the windows
implementation.

This actually seems to suggest that no animal, including dead ones,
didn't have poll(2) support at the time of their last run...

- Andres