On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 4:38 AM, Ashutosh Bapat
<ashutosh.ba...@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> But in case a user has written an = operator which returns true for
> two NULL values, per description in [1], that comparison operator is
> flawed and
> using that operator is going to result in SQL-standard-incompliant
> behaviour. I have tried to preserve all the relevant portions of
> discussion in this mail. Am I missing something?

Yes.  You're confusing friendly advice about how to write good SQL
with internals documentation about how the system actually works.  The
documentation we have about how operator classes and index methods and
so forth actually work under the hood is in
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/xindex.html -- as a
developer, that's what you should be looking at.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company