On Wed, Jun 21, 2017 at 07:49:21PM +0530, Amit Kapila wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 20, 2017 at 7:24 PM, Amit Kapila <amit.kapil...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hmm.  I think we need something that works with lesser effort because
> > not all users will be as knowledgeable as you are, so if they make any
> > mistakes in copying the file manually, it can lead to problems.  How
> > about issuing a notification (XLogArchiveNotifySeg) in shutdown
> > checkpoint if archiving is enabled?
> >

> I have thought more about the above solution and it seems risky to
> notify archiver for incomplete WAL segments (which will be possible in
> this case as there is no guarantee that Checkpoint record will fill
> the segment).  So, it seems to me we should update the document unless
> you or someone has some solution to this problem.

The over-arching question is how do we tell users to verify that the WAL
has been replayed on the standby?  I am thinking we would say that for
streaming replication, the "Latest checkpoint location" should match on
the primary and standby, while for log shipping, the standbys should be
exactly one WAL file less than the primary.

As far as I know this is the only remaining open issue.  Sergey, please
verify.  I appreciate the work everyone has done to improve this, and
all the existing fixes have been pushed to all supported branches.  :-)

--
  Bruce Momjian  <br...@momjian.us>        http://momjian.us