Tom,

On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 16:43 Tom Lane <t...@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> AFAICT, pg_dump has no notion that it needs to be careful about the order
> in which permissions are granted.  I did
>
> regression=# create user joe;
> CREATE ROLE
> regression=# create user bob;
> CREATE ROLE
> regression=# create user alice;
> CREATE ROLE
> regression=# \c - joe
> You are now connected to database "regression" as user "joe".
> regression=> create table joestable(f1 int);
> CREATE TABLE
> regression=> grant select on joestable to alice with grant option;
> GRANT
> regression=> \c - alice
> You are now connected to database "regression" as user "alice".
> regression=> grant select on joestable to bob;
> GRANT
>
> and then pg_dump'd that.  The ACL entry for joestable looks like this:
>
> --
> -- TOC entry 5642 (class 0 OID 0)
> -- Dependencies: 606
> -- Name: joestable; Type: ACL; Schema: public; Owner: joe
> --
>
> SET SESSION AUTHORIZATION alice;
> GRANT SELECT ON TABLE joestable TO bob;
> RESET SESSION AUTHORIZATION;
> GRANT SELECT ON TABLE joestable TO alice WITH GRANT OPTION;
>
> Unsurprisingly, that fails to restore:
>
> db2=# SET SESSION AUTHORIZATION alice;
> SET
> db2=> GRANT SELECT ON TABLE joestable TO bob;
> ERROR:  permission denied for relation joestable
>

> I am not certain whether this is a newly introduced bug or not.
> However, I tried it in 9.2-9.6, and all of them produce the
> GRANTs in the right order:
>
> GRANT SELECT ON TABLE joestable TO alice WITH GRANT OPTION;
> SET SESSION AUTHORIZATION alice;
> GRANT SELECT ON TABLE joestable TO bob;
> RESET SESSION AUTHORIZATION;
>
> That might be just chance, but my current bet is that Stephen
> broke it sometime in the v10 cycle --- especially since we
> haven't heard any complaints like this from the field.

Hmmm. I'll certainly take a look when I get back to a laptop, but I can't
recall offhand any specific code for handling that, nor what change I might
have made in the v10 cycle which would have broken it (if anything, I would
have expected an issue from the rework in 9.6...).

I should be able to look at this tomorrow though.

Thanks!

Stephen