On Sat, Aug 19, 2017 at 12:28 AM, Robert Haas <robertmh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 1:13 AM, Michael Paquier
> <michael.paqu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I had in mind a ereport(WARNING) in create_syncrep_config. Extra
>> thoughts/opinions welcome.
>
> I think for v10 we should just document the behavior we've got; I
> think it's too late to be whacking things around now.
>
> For v11, we could emit a warning if we plan to deprecate and
> eventually remove the syntax without ANY/FIRST, but let's not do:
>
> WARNING:  what you did is ok, but you might have wanted to do something else
>
> First of all, whether or not that can properly be called a warning is
> highly debatable.  Also, if you do that sort of thing to your spouse
> and/or children, they call it "nagging".  I don't think users will
> like it any more than family members do.

It seems to me that we should discuss whether we want to keep the some
syntax such as 'a,b', 'N(a,b)' before thinking whether or not that
making the quorum commit the default behavior of 'N(a,b)' syntax. If
we plan to remove such syntax in a future release we can live with the
current code and should document it.

Regards,

--
Masahiko Sawada