On 08/22/2017 11:04 PM, Masahiko Sawada wrote:
> WARNING:  what you did is ok, but you might have wanted to do something else
>
> First of all, whether or not that can properly be called a warning is
> highly debatable.  Also, if you do that sort of thing to your spouse
> and/or children, they call it "nagging".  I don't think users will
> like it any more than family members do.

Realistically, we'll support the backwards-compatible syntax for 3-5
years.  Which is fine.

I suggest that we just gradually deprecate the old syntax from the docs,
and then around Postgres 16 eliminate it.  I posit that that's better
than changing the meaning of the old syntax out from under people.

--
Josh Berkus
Containers & Databases Oh My!