Hi,

On 2017-10-05 17:02:22 -0500, Nico Williams wrote:
>    A quick look at the functions called on the child side of fork()
>    makes me think that it's unlikely that the children here use
>    async-signal-safe functions only.

That's not a requirement unless you're using fork *and* threads. At
least by my last reading of posix and common practice.

>  - fork() is used in a number of places where execl() or execv() are
>    called immediately after (and exit() if the exec fails).
>
>    It would be better to use vfork() where available and _exit() instead
>    of exit().

vfork is less portable, and doesn't really win us anything on common
platforms. On most it's pretty much the same implementation.

>    vfork() is widely demonized, but it's actually quite superior
>    (performance-wise) to fork() when all you want to do is exec-or-exit
>    since no page copying (COW or otherwise) needs be done when using
>    vfork().

Not on linux, at least not as of a year or two back.

I do think it'd be good to move more towards threads, but not at all for
the reasons mentioned here.

Greetings,

Andres Freund