Kiyoshi Sawada <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> $ /usr/local/bin/nslookup localhost
> Note:  nslookup is deprecated and may be removed from future releases.
> Consider using the `dig' or `host' programs instead.  Run nslookup with
> the `-sil[ent]' option to prevent this message from appearing.
> Server:         xxx.xx.xx.xxx
> Address:        xxx.xx.xx.xxx#53

> Name:   localhost
> Address: 127.0.0.1

Hmm ... that's certainly evidence that "localhost" will resolve
correctly on your machine, but then why is the bind() failing?

If you have strace or ktrace or some other tool for watching the
kernel calls issued by a particular process, please try tracing
postmaster startup and look to see exactly what arguments are being
passed to bind().

(Note: IIRC we first bind the postmaster listen socket and only later
try to create the UDP socket for statistics, so this won't be the
very first bind() in the trace.)