Bruce Momjian wrote:

Gaetano Mendola wrote:

I don't think the article is available online, alas, but you can find some
related source code demonstrating the technique at:

http://www.semantics.org/tyr/tyr0_5/list.h

That certainly is an amazing idea. You know the pointer you are coming from so you can XOR to find the next pointer.

I agree with a Tom that we don't have much use for double-link lists,
but is a nice idea.

I must confess that it strikes me as a really really horrid and ugly hack - very likely to be error-prone and non-portable and undebuggable, and for almost no saving worth having. But maybe that's just me.

In general I've been impressed with the quality of Pg code over the last 6 months or so - I'd hate to see it polluted by something like this.

cheers

andrew

---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 5: Have you checked our extensive FAQ?