Tom Lane wrote:

Greg Stark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Treating pointers as integers is technically nonportable but
realistically you would be pretty hard pressed to find any
architecture anyone runs postgres on where there isn't some integer
datatype that you can cast both directions from pointers safely.

... like, say, Datum. We already make that assumption, so there's no
new portability risk involved.

There is a new type in C99 for "integer that can hold a pointer value". I think it's called intptr_t resp. uintptr_t, but I don't have the standard around.
It will be necessary for a 64-bit Windows port: Microsoft decided that pointer are 64-bit on WIN64, int&long remain 32-bit. Microsoft's own typedefs are UINT_PTR, DWORD_PTR, INT_PTR.

--
   Manfred