On Fri, Dec 26, 2003 at 06:34:47PM -0500, Alex J. Avriette wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 26, 2003 at 11:49:20AM -0600, David Fetter wrote:

> > > The latter is harder to answer than the former. For the former,
> > > I propose a macro in psql, "\qf" (query function). Obviously,
> > > the name implies a broader scope than simply querying the
> > > datatypes permissable.

> > * Part of \df (for functions)

> This is my initial feeling. It really is "just another \df".
> However, I don't see a good way to merge the functionality of the
> new function and the old function, as the parameter for df is the
> function name, not its arguments.

True.

> > * Part of \dT (describing data types)

> This, too would work, but again, I have a hard time figuring out
> where to put the arguments.

Weelll, there's already a + operator, as in \df+.  Perhaps there could
be a T operator for data types and an f operator for functions, &c.

\dfT integer

might bring back all the functions that operate on (or return)
integers.

> > * A new \ command
>
> The problem with this is that few people are going to notice it
> immediately whereas I would contend that many people already know
> aobut \df and \dT.  The goal here is to get people to use the tools
> they have. If they're not already seeking out tools, it doesn't help
> to add new ones.
>
> > Duplication--especially for help systems--is not a bad thing, as
> > long as it's only duplication of access and not of code bases.
>
> Duplication of help systems that are never going to be used is a
> waste of everyone's time.

Perhaps I didn't make clear what I was trying to say. :)

We should continue to avoid the "The docs for any given thing are
findable in exactly one way.  If you don't divine it, you are S.O.L."
model of documentation.

Cheers,
David Fetter [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://fetter.org/
phone: +1 510 893 6100    cell: +1 415 235 3778

There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to
conduct, or more uncertain in its success, than to take the lead in
the introduction of a new order of things.  Because the innovator has
for enemies all those who have done well under the old conditions, and
lukewarm defenders in those who may do well under the new.
                                                   Niccolo Machiavelli
                                                   The Prince, 1513

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster