Fernando,

> I don't really care on how its done, but IMO an enterprise class
> database must be able to do log rotation.  Logging to Syslog is not an
> option (specially with our verbosity) -- users must be able to use flat
> files for logging.

Hmmm ... to differ: I have several (six, actually) customers with high-demand
databases.   *All* of them use syslog.    This is becuase there are tools for
parsing, monitoring, and forwarding the syslog, which do not exist for
individual application logs.  Heck, you can even have a "syslog server" that
collects the syslogs for several machines -- a recommended setup in busy
mulit-server data centers.

Futher, log rotation can be easily accomplished by piping the log output to a
perl script rather than a file, and letting the script handle the
re-direction.  Some users are using the approach to, for example, create
seperate logs for each connection or each type of statement.

> I never seem some many customer complaints and bug reports about a
> single item like the ones we have received here about logging.  I think
> this should be the number 1 item in te TODO list.

I disagree.   This is one of those features that would be nice to have but
isn't particularly important given the truly substantial number of external
OSS tools designed to handle the problem.   You might consider educating your
customers about those tools instead -- several of which ship on the redhat
CDs, I believe.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions