In the last exciting episode, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kevin Brown) wrote:
> If we want to be a bit paranoid (justifiable if you've got really
> important data on the line), we could also require that a version
> string exist in the config file.  If the version string doesn't match
> the version of the postmaster being started, the postmaster exits with
> an error (and a hint of what to set the version string to and what the
> name of the version string parameter is).  That way, even if you screw
> up on the command line, you won't hose a database by starting the wrong
> version of the postmaster against it.  Not sure if this would break
> anything, though.

How would this differ from the present situation where
$PGDATA/PG_VERSION is already required to match against the
postmaster?

As far as I can see, the only thing that is to be changed by the
proposal is that instead of postgresql.conf being in $PGDATA, it might
be found somewhere else.  (And perhaps pg_hba.conf and pg_ident.conf
will also be located in that mystical "somewhere else.")

The change that _might_ be relevant would be to put a version string
into postgresql.conf so that there would be _two_ matches made, not
just one:

 - $PGDATA/PG_VERSION is required to match the postmaster;

 - $SOMEWHERE_ELSE/postgresql.conf's variable "version" is required to
   match the postmaster.

But I think Tom put it pretty well when he commented that all of the
core developers make extensive use of the notion of having _many_
backends around, and therefore would oppose any proposal that would
make it less convenient to do that.

Core folk aren't likely to write up patches designed to shoot
themselves in the foot this way, nor are they likely to accept patches
that clearly do so.
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="cbbrowne.com" in name ^ "@" ^ tld;;
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/linuxxian.html