I seems to me that the existing situation is actually correct :

The configuration is a property of the initialized database cluster, so a logical place for it is in the root of said cluster.

It is *not* a property of the installed binary distribution (e.g /usr/local/pgsql/etc) - as you may have *several* database clusters created using *this* binary distribution, each of which requiring a different configuration.

Having said that, I am ok about the 'include' idea.

regards

Mark