Folks,

I've noticed that when coming into an organization, I need to do some
counting on what's in all the tables in a db.  This shortens that
process considerably, with the usual caveat that count(*) is a heavy
operation.

By the way, the 3 lines following "godawful hack" point to something
PL/PgSQL ought (imho) to be able to do, namely something like

EXECUTE INTO [ record | rowtype | type ] [sql TEXT string returning a single row];

Here 'tis: version 0.01...

CREATE TYPE table_count AS (table_name TEXT, num_rows INTEGER);

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION count_em_all () RETURNS SETOF table_count
AS '
DECLARE
    the_count RECORD;
    t_name RECORD;
    r table_count%ROWTYPE;
BEGIN
    FOR t_name IN
        SELECT c.relname
        FROM
            pg_catalog.pg_class c
                LEFT JOIN
            pg_namespace n
                ON
            n.oid = c.relnamespace
        WHERE
            c.relkind = ''r''
                AND
            n.nspname = ''public''
        ORDER BY 1
    LOOP
        -- The next 3 lines are a godawful hack. :P
        FOR the_count IN EXECUTE ''SELECT COUNT(*) AS "count" FROM '' || t_name.relname
        LOOP
        END LOOP;
        r.table_name := t_name.relname;
        r.num_rows := the_count.count;
        RETURN NEXT r;
    END LOOP;
    RETURN;
END;
' LANGUAGE plpgsql;

COMMENT ON FUNCTION count_em_all () IS 'Spits out all tables in the public schema and
the exact row counts for each.';

--
David Fetter [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://fetter.org/
phone: +1 510 893 6100   mobile: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!