Am 07.12.2004 um 19:24 schrieb Tom Lane:

Matthias Schmidt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
By the way: Do you have an idea about a small or
medium sized task from the TODO-List for a newbee, which gets me up to
speed?(!Win32)

A lot of the tasks listed under DATA TYPES are fairly self-contained
problems ... but what draws your interest? I think most of the tasks
that are on TODO are there either because they're hard problems, or
because nobody was very interested in them. Unfortunately they are not
marked as to which is which :-(. Make a list of things you find
interesting, and we can tell you if they're very hard or already claimed.

                        regards, tom lane

Hi Tom,

this is a list of things I'm interested in:

1) Allow administrators to safely terminate individual sessions

  Right now, SIGTERM will terminate a session, but it is treated as
  though the postmaster has paniced and shared memory might not be
  cleaned up properly.  A new signal is needed for safe termination.

2) Add a function that returns the 'uptime' of the postmaster

3) Have SHOW ALL and pg_settings show descriptions for server-side variables

to be honest I'm only looking for a particular task to get things started.

cheers,

Matthias

Matthias Schmidt
Viehtriftstr. 49