http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/fileio/
> > base/createfile.asp, can you say offhand if the WAL code fulfills
them?

> If I'm reading it right, you are referring to:
>
>     File access must begin at byte offsets within the file that are
>     integer multiples of the volume's sector size.
>
>     File access must be for numbers of bytes that are integer
multiples
>     of the volume's sector size. For example, if the sector size is
512
>     bytes, an application can request reads and writes of 512, 1024,
or
>     2048 bytes, but not of 335, 981, or 7171 bytes.
>
>     Buffer addresses for read and write operations should be sector
>     aligned (aligned on addresses in memory that are integer multiples
>     of the volume's sector size). Depending on the disk, this
>     requirement may not be enforced.
>
> 1 and 2 should be no problem since we only read or write integral
pages
> (8K).  3 is a bit bogus IMHO, or even a lot bogus.  You can set
> ALIGNOF_BUFFER in src/include/pg_config_manual.h to whatever you think
> the alignment requirement really needs to be (I'd try 512).

After multiple runs on different blocksizes( a few anomalous results
aside), I didn't see a whole lot of difference between
FILE_FLAG_NO_BUFFERING being on or off for writing performance.
However, with NO_BUFFERING set, the file is not *read* cached at all.
While the performance is on not terrible for reads, some careful
consideration would have to be given for using it outside of WAL.  For
WAL, though, it seems perfect.  If my results are to be believed, we can
expect up to a 30 yes, that's three + zero times faster sync performance
by ditching FlushFileBuffers (although probably far less in practice).

Applying FILE_FLAG_WRITE_THROUGH to non WAL data files will give similar
speedups to checkpoints, but right now I'm making no assumptions about
the safety issue.  I'd like to point out here that using the
FlushFileBuffers() sync approach it was impossible to get my 3ware raid
controller to cache the writes at all.  This means that unless we change
the sync method for data files, win32 will always have horrible
checkpoint performance (and I do mean horrible).

My suggestion would be to FILE_FLAG_NO_BUFFERING |
FILE_FLAG_WRITE_THROUGH for WAL, and FILE_FLAG_WRITE_THROUGH for
everything else.  Then it's time to power-fail test etc. and make sure
things work the way they are supposed to.

By the way, by some quirk of fate, 8k seems to be a fairly good choice
of block size.  4k block sizes give slightly lower latency but not
nearly as much throughput.

Merlin

      joining column's datatypes do not match