Tom Lane wrote:
Portability, or rather the complete lack of it.  Stuff that isn't in the
Single Unix Spec is a hard sell.

O_DIRECT is reasonably common among modern Unixen (it is supported by Linux, FreeBSD, and probably a couple of the commercial variants like AIX or IRIX); it should also be reasonably easy to check for support at configure time. It's on my TODO list to take a gander at adding support for O_DIRECT for WAL, I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

-Neil