> Well, yes, but I don't think we should break compatibility
> arbitrarilly.  I guess it could be argued that this is a missing feature
> in PL/SQL and its Ada parent -  implementing GOTO just to handle this
> case seems  unnecessary.

Yes. I din't use goto 5 years :-). Continue stmt is more cleaner and
readable.

now:

   FOR i IN 1 .. 100 LOOP
     continue := true
     WHILE continue LOOP
       EXIT; -- contine
       continue := false; -- really exit
     END LOOP;
   END LOOP;

with continue

  FOR i IN 1 .. 100 LOOP
    EXIT WHEN ..
    CONTINUE WHEN ..
  END LOOP;

One argument for continue inside begin block - for discussion only.
on loop exit means break iteration, continue new iteration. Continue and
Exit are symmetric.

I didn't know ADA haven't continue. In PL/pgSQL there isn't any problem
implement continue stmt (wit any face), but goto stmt means relative big
changes in source code.

Pavel

               http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq