Andrew Dunstan wrote:

The decision which files should be changed must be taken. e.g. createdb, dropdb will use template1 hardcoded. Is it acceptable that those tools fail if the "postgres" database isn't present any more?

How about template1 as a fallback?

Fallback is a fine idea, but this brings up another problem I'm currently facing: how to identify the problem the connection has from libpq? If the problem is a wrong password, we certainly don't want to try again. I browsed the sources over and over, but apparently there's no machine readable return code to distinguish the reason of connection failure apart from examining the errormessage string. I have the same problem in pgAdmin, where I try to give extended messages like
http://svn.pgadmin.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/trunk/pgadmin3/docs/en_US/hints/conn-listen.html?rev=4056&view=markup

Regards,
Andreas